Page One

Horrors! When we write a book, we have no choice but to start with “Page One.” Yes, it’s that annoying, intimidating, proverbial Page One that can bring a writer to his or her knees. We sit and stare at that blank piece of paper (or the pretend piece of paper on our computer screen), and we realize that what we put on that very first page is what the reader will see when he or she takes a look at the book – that very first page that they use to decide if they want to buy the book – that very first page that either hooks a reader, or causes them to put the book back on the shelf – or to not “click” order the book on-line.

“Page One” can be frightening. I have to wonder how many other authors besides me have just sat and stared at that blank Page One and considered a thousand different ways to start their book.

There are things to love and to hate about “Page One.” The hate part is pretty obvious … oh, my gosh, will this make readers want to buy my book? Or oh, my gosh, I just finished a 500-page book and now I’m starting all over again. Or oh, my gosh, what have I gotten myself into by selling this idea and promising I could write a book about it? Maybe oh, my gosh, if I don’t do this right readers won’t buy the book. Or just plain oh, my gosh, my poor back isn’t ready to sit down and type “page one” all over again and turn it into 400 – 600 pages.

Then of course there are things to love about it. After all, “page one” usually means I’ve sold another book. “Page one” is the beginning of another whole new adventure. “Page one” presents a new writing challenge, fun ways of figuring out how to hook the reader yet again into wanting to buy the book. “Page one” is like writing that first book all over again. Every book is a brand new experience, and sometimes it’s as though none of the other books exist. Each and every new book is its own animal, and when I think I’ve written my “favorite” story, here comes a new one that becomes my “new favorite.”

Watch this blog site for another article related to “Page One.” I want to talk about the complete opposite to “Page One,” which is “The Last Page” and what it means to a writer. In the meantime, enjoy “Page One” of my next new book, LOVE’S SWEET REVENGE, coming in September!






Their Passion Shaped a Nation

Over the years, Jake and Miranda Harkner have endured all the dangers a wild and brutal West could throw at them. Now, settled on their ranch in the beautiful Colorado hill country, they've finally found peace. But for a man like Jake Harkner, danger is always lurking, and the world may not be ready for an infamous outlaw-turned-lawman-turned-legend to hang up his guns.

Threatened by cruel men in search of revenge, the Harkner clan must be stronger than ever before. Yet nothing can stop the coming storm. With the Old West dying around them and the rules of this new world ever-changing, Jake vows to end the threat to his family no matter what it takes...

Even if it means sacrificing himself so his beloved Miranda may live.


At the moment I am starting my Outlaw book #4 – THE LAST OUTLAW – and I am still staring at a blank “page one!”

0 comments:

Post a Comment